Winston Workouts: Teachers (3 of 3)

By | 11:00 pm Leave a Comment

Written by:

Alexandra Tan, Year 12


With exams always looming and workloads escalating, many of us set aside out healthy lifestyles in exchange for late nights and stress snacking. However, there are many studies that reveal the benefits of balanced diets, sufficient sleep and regular exercise to enhance concentration and memory. So instead of aimlessly procrastinating, go for a quick run or workout! These teachers offer great tips on how they manage live healthily despite a jam-packed schedule. For extra motivation, keep in mind that vacation is always just around the corner, and we have little time to prep our beach bodies!


Mr. Barker

Newbie Mr. Barker is not your ordinary English teacher. Running is one of his biggest passions, and can be spotted jogging around the Fort almost everyday. Mr. Barker can beat just about anyone in BSM at the bleep test (with the exception of Mr. Wooldridge), and his running achievements and experiences around the world are nothing short of impressive.

Mr. Barker: I have been running from the age of 5. I started running cross country races in my village of Linton in South Cambridgeshire. There was a lovely, strong running community in the village and there were many organised runs. Every summer, the running club would travel to London for the Hyde Park Fun Run which broke people into age groups and then they would compete over courses around the park. It was fab! My best finish was 13th out of about 1500 entrants in the boys under 13 race.

My family loves running and in our village we were the best family in the March Hare Fun Run about 5 years in a row. Having a local running community helped me become interested and competitive in running. However, when I moved away from Linton at the age of 12, I stopped running competitively, until I entered the Moscow 10km run about 5 years ago. I managed 38 minutes for 10km which is good for me but way off the winners who were about 31 minutes. Since then I just try to improve my own times, especially on Wednesday mornings at Running Club. I run barefoot which is a lovely feeling, dew on feet, and changes my running style completely. Oh, and I do compete against Mr Wooldridge whenever there is a bleep test, but he is fitter than me.

Q: How has moving to the Philippines affected your fitness?
                                   
A: My fitness has improved here. I do not go out partying anymore. I am almost 40, so that kind of lifestyle just does not work for me. I suffer what I contend are the world’s worst hangovers if I imbibe. My diet has improved and although I possibly run a little less than in Moscow or Bogota, I feel healthier overall.

Q: What’s your fitness routine?                     
                                                           
A: I train 6 days a week. 2 of those are resistance workouts with weights and things. The other four are a mixture of swimming, running and cycling. I try to keep it mixed as it maintains interest to an extent (I don’t think anyone would identify running, cycling or swimming as particularly entertaining sports) and varies the way my body works. I am swimming more now than I ever have. It is a great way to improve cardiovascular fitness even if you are a good runner already.
Q: Any nutrition tips?                              
                                                                       
A: Eat what you want as long as you exercise. Fast food is evil. Not so much because it is bad for you, just the way it has impacted food production and the environment. Don’t drink beer.

Q: Any advice to people wanting to get fit?

Just do it! Not terribly constructive, I know, but if you don’t make the decision to do something then you never will.


Madame Barrett

“Madame Barrett has more gains than I do” –Anonymous senior school boy


Aside from her bubbly personality and impeccable fashion sense, Madame Barrett is known for her physique and active lifestyle. She’s involved in just about every action ASA in the school, and credits her health and fitness to her youth and roots in France.

Madame Barrett: I started dance and basketball at the age of 6. In France, ASAs are not organised in school and are done in sport centres on Wednesday afternoons. As I lived in a little village, it was a great way to be active and meet people. I guess, it gave my mum some free time too! Et voila! I never stopped training since. Training became part of my daily routine, just like brushing my teeth. It still is. I never ask myself the question “Do I want to go training?”, “Do I feel like it?” Otherwise, I would never go! It is just part of my timetable. I squeeze it in!

Although it was just in a village, the club had really high standards and the coaches were all professionals. We were involved in regional and national competitions for basketball and we had training 3-5 times a week.  When I moved to senior school, I enrolled a Sport School programme for 2 years. Instead of having music, DT and art, I had training in 1 or 2 sports at higher level. It is called “Sport Etudes.” This is when I started taking swimming more seriously. Training was part of your school timetable and was not negotiable as it was assessed. It was part of the curriculum in a way.

Attendance, discipline and results were assessed alongside attitude and motivation. Strong ethos were enhanced and there was no room for complaints or tiredness. This I guess modelled the way I am today: motivated and energetic. Discipline, commitment and organisation were the key words as academic results had to match your sports results, or you were out!

Q: What’s your current fitness routine?

A: It is very disciplined: 1 day yoga, 1 day cardio (running and biking) 1 day swimming and repeat same routine again. My day off is now filled in with an extra yoga lesson. Having a family is motivating. Sport is not an “instead of” but an “as well as.” It has helped me to be more organised. The less time you have, the less time you waste. Because I want to be with my family as much as possible, I squeeze training in when it does not affect family time. Not always easy but with good organisation and energy I can manage.

Q: Any nutrition tips?

A: Eat well, balanced and not in huge quantities. Plenty of fruit, yoghurt, a very small amount of red meat, lots of green tea and hot lemons, chocolate and allow yourself the odd craving (not to be frustrated and because you can!) All in moderation.

Q: Favorite workout song/playlist/artist?

A: All! I like techno, house, strong beats, good DJs mix, anything that makes me move.

Q: What’s your best advice for people wanting to start a healthy lifestyle?

A: Start now! “It is not what you do, it is how you do it.” (10 good push ups are better than 50 bad ones!) and above all, as one of my coaches used to say: “You may not like your body but it is yours forever, so respect it. Learn to live with it happily and enjoy!” Listen to your body! Rest when you need and learn your limits (I should learn that one!). Find the sports or the activity that is good for you! It has not got to be at competition level, walking your dog is an exercise! Keep it going, be committed to it and never give up!


Written by:
Alexandra Tan, Year 12
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.