New Kid on the Block Part 2

By | 12:00 am Leave a Comment

Written by:

Lorenzo Siy, Year 12

Not So New Anymore


Time truly is an interesting concept: despite any of our efforts to plan or organize it, despite the great lengths we go to have a chance to control it, or our attempts to try to save it, we can’t really be gifted with anything more than that we are given. Old or young, rich or poor, sinner or saint, each person is still afforded the same number of seconds, minutes, and hours that anyone else has. Rather than trying in vain to gain even the smallest additional fraction of a moment, I think it is more important to use our time efficiently and effectively. After all, once it is spent, there is no going back. We cannot buy back lost time.  

That advice would probably have come in handy a few months ago. But, looking back over my time in BSM, I have no regrets. Okay, maybe some regrets. As I entered BSM last year, I was your stereotypical new kid, much like the one you would see in a movie: timid, quiet, and afraid to step on people’s toes. I generally kept to myself more than I should have, and did not think to test the boundaries of my comfort zone. However, looking back at this point, I realize that I shouldn’t have held back because there was simply no reason to. The opportunity cost (for all of you who study economics) of being guided by personal inhibitions was not worth the chances missed, the chances lost, and the perennial ‘what-ifs’ that keep me up so late at night. As is often said, regrets come less from what you did rather than from what you didn’t do.

Going back to the idea of a fixed time, there’s only one thing I can say – it really does fly. Going off to university - an idea that has always seemed to hang in the very distant and dim future - is going to become reality in little over a year for me. This realization is one that I’ve kept in my head for a while now; yet the weight of the thought never fails to catch me off guard (a feeling I’m sure many of our Y13s can relate to). This concept of growing up, albeit pretty scary, has allowed me to make an effort to maximize the time I have left in school; it’s encouraged me to learn to live a little more, take a few more chances, and to simply enjoy the rest of the ride.

Cheers!

Written by:
Lorenzo Siy, Year 12
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.