Dear Rod #2

By | 10:34 pm Leave a Comment


"Dear Rod" is a brand new segment designed by the Winston team in which anonymous readers send their deepest dilemmas and most worrisome woes to BSM's very own Dr. Phil, Mr. Peñalosa.

Dear Rod,
I'm a gymnast and I train up to six times a week. I'm super passionate about it but I come home feeling so bad about myself. I'm constantly told by my coaches that I need to lose weight. I've tried a lot of things and none of them seem to be working. I'm honestly not sure if I'm ready to sacrifice my happiness and self-esteem in order to get the 'ideal' body when I feel like my technique wouldn't be affected at all. What should I do?

What matters to you the most?  Perhaps the suggestion of your coaches to lose weight is meant to further develop your skills and athleticism as a gymnast and not to make you feel negatively about yourself.  They are the expert in the field which is why you and your parents have entrusted them to coach you.  If you're super passionate about being a gymnast, then it will take some sacrifice and hard work to take you to your highest potential.  If the critiques and suggestions surrounding weight loss are being delivered by your coaches insensitively, then that needs to be addressed by your parents.  I suggest that you ask your coaches for guidance on how to lose weight and how this will help your performance.  Otherwise, if this is just insensitive name-calling or remarks from the coaches, then let your parents know about this.

Dear Rod, 
I love to write songs, but lately I've been really stuck. There's nothing interesting really going on in my life, any suggestions? How do I get my mojo back?

Think about what inspires you.  Creativity comes from inspiration and situations that provoke emotions.  Take time to pause, and try not to take the writing so seriously but more leisurely.  Also, try taking a walk outside and observe what other people are doing (not in a stalker-ish way).  You might not have anything interesting going on in your life, but maybe you can weave a story using your imagination and the actions of someone else.  Where is that girl going on that bus?  Why does that guy keep playing guitar in the park day after day?  Maybe you’ll brainstorm a tale that inspires you, or that reminds you of an event from your own life that suddenly doesn’t seem so dull anymore.

If you'd like to submit your own Dear Rod dilemma, send your dilemmas HERE (don't worry, it's completely anonymous - even we won't know who you are)
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.